Thursday, February 2, 2012

Abilify, Pedicure and Mini-Wheats...what a day

Deep breath. As most of you know I have a gorgeous son, Ryan, who was born with Down Syndrome. He has since developed an array of behavioral disorders such as Sensory Processing Disorder, OCD and ADHD with impulsivity. We took a trek to his pediatrician this morning for his annual check up. Much to my disappointment our well sought after pediatrician seems to have zero tolerance for a child with Ryan's..let's say 'energy'. Bright and early at 8:00 I am standing in the hallway between the bathroom (where my 5 yr old decides it is the perfect time & place to go 'poopie") and the exam room where Ryan is strapped into his stroller awaiting the doctor to come in. Now Ryan doesn't just sit anywhere. He is in there moaning, yelling, banging, pushing his stroller back against the table..you name it. Well as I am awaiting Sean to finish up. The doc looks at me and says..'Can you please corral your children...I need to get started.". Now needless to say I was speechless..and being a girl from Jersey that is saying a lot!! When I finally gathered my thoughts enough to respond I was furious. I said..'Coral my Children??" Which one? The one strapped in the stroller or the one going to the bathroom?? She then proceeded to walk into the exam room and sit down. Ryan was still going a mile a minute with his yelling, moaning,and repetitive "momma, momma. momma, momma'. At this point she put her hands on her head and said "I can't stand it", "How do you handle this?" She said, "I have 15 minutes for this appointment and with all of this going on I can't even think". DID SHE REALLY JUST SAY THAT?????? I said, "What would you like me to do? You are not being understanding of my situation AT ALL!!".  I was so close to crying, screaming, beating her..you name it. I just sat there while she did her exam. She wants to put him on Abilify for his behavior issues. Okay, sounds great to me. He has been like this for over 3 years and she finally is giving us something. I guess him pushing us to the edge every day wasn't enough for her, looks like he had to give her a little shove. She did apologize, kinda'. "Give me a hug..you poor thing...I don't know how you do it".  Well take a look at this face. That's how I do it.


We have been with her for over 5 years. Do I want to start at the beginning with a new doc or just chalk this appt up to God allowing it to happen so she would actually know what we go through everyday?!? Of course, there is no excuse for her behavior but she is the last thing I need to be worrying about right now. I may ask to switch to her partner, he seems so nice. I need nice right about now. After the appointment I dropped the kids off at school, got a pedicure and then went home and ate two bowls of cereal...frosted mini-wheats. There is nothing that a great bowl of cereal can't fix...(that addiction for another post:)

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Just wow. So the doctor is having a bad day, but to actually verbalized to you those things is unforgivable! I would certainly ask for the partner next times, thank goodness for good moms who can take on out of sort doctors!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously this was her second choice in the medical field. I think her actions and attitude are absurd. Ask the partner to be your doctor from now on and let everyone know why. And by the way, have you tried the peanut butter and banana flavored Cheerios together.. like eating a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

    ReplyDelete